It is the position of The Academia Society, Inc.to unequivocally support a legal, responsible, and safe lifestyle for all Society and prospective members. The Society’s priority is to ensure all existing and prospective members have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. These rights are protected and enforced by enacting disciplinary actions against anyone who violates the Society’s policies and procedures. Therefore, the Society is dedicated to a quality scholarly experience and encourages college administrators, other campus organizations, and each local chapter to adopt and implement Anti-Hazing practices and standards to provide for a legal, responsible, and safe campus life.
The Society’s discipline process is intended to be corrective rather than punitive. Continued minor violations of the Society’s policies and procedures may require a series of disciplinary actions including but not limited to denial of membership intake privileges, suspension, or expulsion and a fine imposed; whereas, a severe act of misconduct may result in immediate expulsion or revocation chapter charter. Each incident will be considered on a case-by-case basis with all efforts taken to treat similarly situated incidents consistently. A cornerstone of the Society’s Risk Management policy is the prohibition of hazing and a strong stance on substance abuse and discrimination.
Hazing has been prohibited by the Society since the organization was founded in 2006. The Society has enacted an Anti-Hazing policy with established procedures for identifying, investigating, and reprimanding individuals who are found guilty of hazing. The Academia Society, Inc. is in total opposition to hazing and any form of hazing will not be tolerated.
DEFINITION OF HAZING:
Hazing activities are defined as (but not limited to):
- Physical acts, such as hitting, striking, laying hands upon or threatening to do bodily harm to any individual(s), while acting in one’s capacity as a member of the Society.
- Behavior which is directed against any individual(s) for the purpose of causing shame, abuse, insult, humiliation, intimidation, or morally degrading.
- A variety of prohibited practices, including not limited to, “underground hazing,” “financial hazing,” “pre-pledging,” “post-pledging,” or “post-initiation pledging.”
- Any other activities which are not consistent with scholarly law, ritual, policy, or regulations and policies of the institution of higher education, federal, state, and local laws.
Furthermore, any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off Society premises or during Society functions, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcoholic beverages; excessive consumption of any substance; hand and leg tying; forceful submerging into water; paddling in any form; branding; creation of excessive fatigue, physical or psychological shocks; quests; treasure hunts; scavenger hunts, road trips; or any other such activities carried on in the name of the Society; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste.
- All acts of hazing, discrimination, or harassment shall be expressly prohibited.
- Any male candidate for membership into the Society shall not be subjected to any act of hazing, discrimination, or harassment in connection with or during the Neophyte Induction Academy (N.I.A.).
- The Society does not consent to, condone, promote, encourage, acquiesce in, or tolerate any act of hazing, discrimination, harassment, or humiliation in connection with or during the Neophyte Induction Academy (N.I.A.), nor will the Society be responsible or liable for any damages, claims, or actions based upon the conduct of any individuals, groups, or associations purporting to perform any acts in the name of the Society or purported to be in any way connected with initiation into membership in the Society.
- Any male candidate otherwise qualified for membership will not be denied membership into the Society solely based upon his relation to a member of the Society or for any federally protected category as outlined in the Society’s Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy.
THE ACADEMIA SOCIETY, INC.
© The Academia Society, Inc. All Rights Reserved.